Bang a gong; clean your bong — Happy New Year! Here’s to more cannabis nerdery, community-building and policy-pounding in 2020
What a transformative but sobering year Canadian cannabis has had in 2019. But if we’re being honest, it felt a little anti-climactic (have you managed to find any edibles, concentrates or topicals yet?).
Yet none can deny the powerful presence of cannabis in the 2019 zeitgeist: Professional athletes and movie stars jostled into their Green Rush position; Canada’s retail scene made major strides; and prohibition continued to plague cannabis consumers abroad.
These are 19 memorable cannabis moments from 2019.
We became huge cannabis nerds
1. Did we reach peak (cannabidiol) CBD in 2019? Based on the wide range of baffling CBD products on the market right now in the U.S., that may be the case.
2. Despite the hype, we’ve learned so much this year about the cannabinoids in cannabis and CBD’s medicinal benefits and potential. We unpacked the best information about the anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving cannabis compound that was all the rage this year.
3. We also learned the difference between hemp and marijuana — which continues to create all kinds of problems in the U.S., where hemp-derived CBD became legal this year.
4. And we became super-educated about cannabis edibles — even if most of us are still waiting to get our paws on some.
Canada finds its footing
5. Remember B.C. bud? In 2019, it seems that Alberta has overtaken British Columbia as the cannabis epicentre of the country, at least when it comes to regulated products…
6. …And Ontario, New Brunswick, and B.C cannabis corporations have struggled to meet the market demands of weed consumers.
7. With a different distribution plan in each province and various bylaws in cities evolving to deal with cannabis legalization, weed communities are being impacted — and even in the post-prohibition era, some places are much weed-friendlier than others.
8. Patchy retail store access across the country didn’t prevent us from trying out a ton of cannabis strains — these are what retailers say were some of the year’s most popular.
9. And all of that strain sampling left us wanting more — these are the strains we wish we could buy in 2019.
Celebrities and pro athletes want a piece
10. From Miley Cyrus to Seth Rogen, just about no one was surprised to hear that these celebrities are launching their own cannabis brands — but it brings us great joy that this exists.
11. But arts and entertainment stars weren’t the only ones getting in on the action: Professional athletes advocated to change anti-cannabis policies in pro-sports…
12. …and launched their own brands or businesses, too.
13. These athletes and the movement inspired our Health Nut columnist Ben Kaplan to experiment with cannabis and training too.
We got high with animals
14. The GrowthOp readers could not get enough of these wacky tales from people who got high — and ended up hanging out with some surprising wildlife.
15. And we learned a ton about cannabis for pets — CBD is emerging as a potentially helpful compound to ease anxiety in our furry friends.
16. Even while many Canadians are enjoying the new post-prohibition era, there’s still a lot for us to be mad about: Poorly managed cannabis companies; mistreatment of medical cannabis consumers; the list continues.
17. Prohibition in the U.S. and the U.K. continues to create dangerous crime opportunities — at least we’re entertained by how dumb some of them are.
18. But prohibition also breeds creativity, like the U.K., where underground growers are extremely good at finding hiding places for grows.
We rang in 2020
19. Bang a gong; clean your bong — Happy New Year! Here’s to more cannabis nerdery, community-building and policy-pounding in 2020!
Written by The GrowthOp